Wednesday, May 27, 2015

because everyone feels invisible sometimes.

It’s past 2:30am. I've had one of the worst days emotionally in a long time. I've let the old familiar feelings of invisibility and insignificance creep into my thoughts. I've let every time that I felt like the least important person in my friend group sneak back into my mind and stay there, festering, making me feel that way all over again. I keep reminding myself of every time that I have felt like nobody cared. I was sitting on my floor tonight, having an all-out meltdown, crying my heart out, when my dear friend told me that she cared. She reminded me that I am loved fiercely by my Jesus and that I am worth every ounce of that love. And that...that’s what got me.

Lemme tell ya: I am often pinned down by negativity and self-loathing. I have countless days where I hate Natalie Johnson because she is the one person who is just too easily overlooked by anyone and everyone. I look at my friends and think, “Why can't I be like them? They're so well-liked and they’re always noticed and acknowledged.” And that negative down-on-myself mindset can be kicked to the curb by someone saying a simple little sentence: “Hey, I love you and I care deeply about your existence.”

So here’s my point: Tell people you care. When you look at someone and think to yourself, “My goodness, I love them," take a minute and tell them that. Intentionally take time out of your day to remind people that they are valued and significant. Because everyone feels invisible sometimes and everyone needs to be told that they are a significant part of someone else’s world.

Please don't read this post and feel bad for me or obligated to tell me that you love me. I don't want to encourage pity parties, I want to encourage loving people better. Use your next "I love you" on someone who you know for a fact doesn't hear it nearly enough and never believes it even when they do. And after that? Spend your time showing them that you mean it when you tell them they matter to you. Start changing the world, one "I love you and you matter" at a time.



No comments:

Post a Comment